Hey folks. This was a great year for the contest and we had a TON of entries. From NY to California (and some rectangle states in between) we had people participating to various degrees. And what I mean by various degrees is that there are tons of people who just can’t figure out the whole sign thing. But whatevs. We got people and now YOU get to choose your favorite. Post the number of the person you want to win in the comments. Don’t cheat. We can figure out if you do. And you will also be able to vote for people’s choice at The Year of Halloween as each site will have its own winner!
To see the prizes go here and congrats!
- Best Costume: Gina P, Zombie (#15)
- Best Group Costume: Liam P, Wreck it Ralph and Fix it Felix (#18)
- Best Makeup: Beth R, Calavara Catrina (#22)
- Second Place Best Costume: Ani, Ood and Dr. Who Crab Monster (#24)
- Second Place Group Costume: Jess L and Matthew H. (#13)
- Second Place Best Makeup: Timothy B, Captain Spaulding (#21)
- Best Appeal to a Corrupt Judge: Sophia, Luchadors (#32)
Readers’ Choice Contestants
THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE FROM. WRITE THEIR NUMBER IN THE COMMENTS. Only vote for one person, but feel free to yak about the rest of them. Yakkers!
Superficial Gallery, the Year of Halloween and Backwoods Horror are proud to present the Fifth Annual Halloween Costume Contest! We are making it super easy to play this year and offering great prizes (as usual). Here is the run down. And remember, I said SUPER EASY!
This year it couldn’t be easier to enter the contest!
To enter, you need to take a photo of yourself in costume holding the sign below. HOWEVER, if you forget the sign, then you can stick out your tongue. That will be the ONLY acceptable substitute. So if you forget the sign and you are wearing a stormtrooper mask, tough luck!
Submit photos to (email@example.com) or upload them directly to the contest event page!
If you need help finding a costume for the contest, Eva’s costume archive at The Year of Halloween has more than fifty makeup and costume tutorials, including tutorials for the Top Ten Costumes of 2013.
The Grand Prizes
Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 (64GB) (MSRP $130)
The Category Prizes (Sexiest Costume, Funniest, Grossest, etc)
Kingston Digital 32 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Cards ($25.00 each)
Kingston DT Special Edition 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drives ($25.00 each)
Uncommon Goods Record Coasters ($18.00)
An assortment of prizes hand selected by Eva Halloween, to include Doomed Crystal Skull Shot Glasses, Robot Hands temporary tattoos, and GAMAGO Zombie Family Car Decal Stickers.
That’s right, folks. The annual Halloween blowout is starting to blow earlier this year. We will have games, contests, prizes and a bunch of the regular happy hijinks. BUT! Even though I say it every year and end up doing the exact opposite, this time I mean it. It will be SIMPLE!
We set up an event over on Google Plus. Check it out here. The banner I made is awesome. Seriously! Stay tuned for updates throughout the next month and a half. And remember, whatever you are wearing can be a costume. And if we do the scavenger hunt this year I will make SURE that people have to eat something. That amuses me. Here are some pics from last year to jog your memories. Have fun!
I have a confession to make. I don’t really give a crap about college sports. I grew up in Maine and went to Fordham. So unless I was a big hockey fan (I’m not) or partial to thinking about when Vince Lombardi played football (he went to Fordham) I would have had to care about some school I didn’t go to from a state I didn’t care about. And I just couldn’t muster the interest.
See, like with a lot of things, I find it hard to let go. If I become a fan of something, I usually don’t change. So since I grew up in Maine I am forever linked to Boston sports teams (and 0 colleges except for Fordham and they always suck). And while I like watching the tournament because it is fun, who gives a crap who wins? I know we all pretend that there could be a huge upset, and sometimes there is in the first or second round. But it never pans out. You might as well root for the fat kid with the club foot from District 4. He might make it a day or so, but you know he’s gonna die.
So since I pay the president, I’m just copying his picks. He has the FBI, CIA and NSA on his side so I figure he has the best chance out of anyone to get it right. Doubt me? Then link me to your brackets in the comments. I will do some sort of stupid prize. Or whatever. Yay America!
I was gone all week and now I have some kind of terrible illness and ate some zinc and every time I cough I die. And if I actually die then I guess I will leave the site to whoever the funniest commenter is. That seems like a good punishment. THINGS JUST GOT REAL! *coughs feebly, cries*
Third Place goes to elssar in the Jessica Biel Texas Chainsaw Massacre Gif post.
“Seriously I don’t know what I’m going to do with 100 something gifs of Jessica Biel in her underwear.”Hey, what happened to your arm? You sprain it or something?
“Suck the hairspray out of Donald Trump’s sweaty comb-over” was already taken.
This week’s cat thing is this!
As for comments? We have Angela Mia on Friday Nineties in third place with one of the longest comments ever (size matters)
“…like going bareback in a crack house with someone you can’t see under a blanket.” Oh my! Definitely sounds like you are speaking from experience there!
Funny that you insist on using the word “boner,” though. I never did understand that. I mean, there are no bones in the penis. At least not in human ones.
Anyway…. you forgot to mention these great tunes:
The Gym Class Locker Room Blues
I Swear, I Just Have to Pee from the album Slumber Party Wake-Up Call
Or my all-time fave, I Don’t Want You, Doctor (But That Glove Sure Feels Nice)
[Note to Self: Find a new crack house]
In second place we have Cornmeal on the Today in History with Eva Halloween: Carnival post. Why? Because even though he works here he rarely comments so whenever he does it is a big deal. His pearl of wisdom?
Tough competition indeed. But the winner this week was…..
I was gone all week so when I came back I printed out all the comments and read them. I’m a big shot and can afford to waste paper and ink. Speaking of wasting paper and ink, here are some comments that came close!
- Catswiththumbs from the circus post. “The circus is just a mobile dimwit vortex. Everyone visiting the circus looks like a 2:00AM Walmart customer – one eye, hairlip, has one of those shoes with the giant brick thing on the bottom . . . a black hole for the genetically unfortunate.”
- And Eva Halloween squeezed out a good one on the same post. Mom jokes never get old! “Well yeah, but your mom came so highly recommended on Yelp.”
But, it turns out the best comment of the week came from PelvicBoogie from last week’s “This week in history“
Now I know Acadia thinks Halloween is a pretty big deal around here. I think my site, The Year of Halloween, might have the edge when it comes to Halloween enthusiasm But I have to hand it to you Superficial Gallery readers – you folks know how to mad dog a contest. This year’s Halloween Picture Perfect featured nearly $1,000 worth of prizes from cool places like Kingston and Uncommon Goods and got close to 100 photo submissions, with 8 out of 12 winners playing from Superficial Gallery.
Great job, cheaters.
Anyway, big sloppy thanks to everyone who played from both sites. Of course, I expect a full rematch next October – sinister plots are already being hatched! Now, on to the prizes!
- Superficial Gallery reader Matthew H won a 16GB Kingston SD Card for submitting the first contest entry.
- Superficial Gallery reader Christy R won an UncommonGoods.com Moon Clock for participating in the scavenger hunt.
- The Year of Halloween reader Misty Layne won two bottles of Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasonings for her response to Superstorm Sandy vs. Halloween.
- Superficial Gallery reader Kevin D won an 8GB Kingston thumb drive for participating in our October Google Hangout.
- Superficial Gallery reader Amber O won a bottle of Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasonings for participating in the scavenger hunt.
- The Year of Halloween reader Sandee won two bottles of Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasonings for her response to Superstorm Sandy vs. Halloween.
- Superficial Gallery writer Ami B won two UncommonGoods.com Face Mugs for Most Blatant Attempt to Bribe the Judges.
- The Year of Halloween reader Jenny M took first prize in the Costume Contest with her Snake Charmer costume and won a $150 gift card to Bettie Page Clothing.
- The Year of Halloween reader Alexander Wolfe took third place in the Scavenger Hunt with 68 points and won a 16GB Kingston Portable Wi Drive and a bottle of Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasonings.
- Superficial Gallery reader Angie P took second place in the Scavenger Hunt with 113 points and won a 16GB Portable Wi Drive from Kingston, a set of UncommonGoods.com’s
Himalayan Salt Tequila Glasses, and a bottle of Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasonings.
- Superficial Gallery reader Pamela T took first place in the Scavenger Hunt with 114 points and won a Solid State Hard Drive and an SD card from Kingston, plus a bottle of Demitri’s Bloody Mary Seasonings.
Halloween can mean a lot of different things to people. I know this year is kind of crappy (at least if you live on the East Coast) but if you do have Internet you might as well take a spin through these pics and vote on your favorites. And someone who comments on the post is going to win one of the million prizes Eva Halloween and I still have (feel free to enter the big contest that is still going). So what’s your favorite? Legit scary? Cute? Sexy? A sexy girl making a cute face who is actually Satan?
Well we don’t have the third one but we have the others I think. I don’t remember what I picked now. You see for yourselves.
I am not going to post a bunch of cool pumpkins for you all to ooh and aah over. Mostly because that post gets done to death every year by every unimaginative site out there (update – except when we did it because we did it before it was cool). So instead I am going to wait until I get done doing my pumpkins and post them on here. And I invite you to do the same.
Hell, I will even give a prize for whichever one is the best, or worst. Or the one that gates the most votes. Something, anyway. Oh, and if you have been watching Food Network and think you can do things all fancy and printed things out from the Internet then I STRONGLY urge you to send in pics of the massive cuts you inflict upon yourself. You won’t win anything but they will help me finish my montage I am making for an unrelated project.
Oh, and in case you thought I didn’t really have a pumpkin, check this out. Look at the horror of the hose I didn’t put away yet. Look how dangerous that walkway looks. And yes, this was before I figured out to stake the gravestones down. Terrible. Just terrible.
You guys are going to have to work hard to make your pumpkins and/or yard look this bad. I’m looking forward to it.
This is pretty easy. Want to win a 16GB SD card from Kingston so you can keep a bunch of creepy pics on your phone? Well here’s your big chance. You probably know about the big contest (check it out if you don’t) but this one is just for today and someone needs to win it. You can do the things below to get entries for the contest and we’ll draw a winner after midnight, EST. Check it out below. Good luck!
Here we go, folks. Time for the October Halloween blowout. We have a bunch of special content coming your way and, as always, the Costume Contest. And this year we have added Picture Perfect to the mix so there is even more to win.
So stay tuned for a bunch of weird and spooky crap on top of all the regular crap. And by crap I mean GOLD. Pure Gold.
Attention iPad owners! About a week ago I reviewed the awesome Adonit Writer Plus for the iPad 2 and the new iPad (check out the review here). As I mentioned in the review, the nice folks at Adonit have agreed to give a unit away to one of our readers! The retail price is $99.99 and it is completely worth it, but you don’t have to worry about the price because you can win one! Also, you can take pleasure in knowing Acadia will cry in shame because he can’t use it with his TouchPad!
If you do a lot typing on your iPad you’ll want this incredible keyboard/case combo. It’s perfect for when you travel, for carrying around to classes on campus or taking it to the office. It’s the best case of its kind that I have tried. It basically turns your iPad into a MacBook Air. Find out how you can enter to win after the jump!
This recap, since I am still sick and exhausted and trying to do a million things I am going to ask questions. Except for this statement: When Britney said she had ‘the strength of a six month old’ I lol’d. Hard.
Answer as many of these as you want. I’m genuinely interested.
- Britney got her dude to put up the Playboy chick and Carrot Top. Good move? Bad move? Who cares because it is week one?
- IS there such a thing as a “meh” eviction since the coaches only have three people each?
- The coaches contest (where whoever wins gets to keep one of their people safe) could be fun. But not if they are all like this one.
- Do the people who make the show ever play the games ahead of time? Like – did they just say: We want a man to win this challenge, so we will make it running!
- Has the “have not” room ever made people lose? Like – how much of a punishment is it? Stupid!
- Who are you rooting for?
- Who do you hate?
- Is the nerdy kid really a creeper?
I’m on vacation right now. It’s kind of hard to get in work mode, so I think what I’m going to do is let you guys work for me. After the jump I have a picture that I’d like you to caption. We’ll pick a winner after, oh I don’t know, a week or so, and the winner will receive a coupon good for $100 off a set of 4 wheels and tires or $50 off just 4 tires at any Discount Tire Company store. Don’t have a Discount Tire near you? Well, um…play anyway!