I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is the only Sam Elliott Zodiac in existence. You know how they work. Just look up the year you were born and find out which Sam Elliott you are. Each one of the Sam Elliotts is distinctive and you can learn a lot about yourself. His mustache/beard combinations pretty much tell you everything you need to know about both yourself and the people around you. So go ahead and check it out.
I don’t want anyone to get too taxed today, so I am just gonna lay some August 9th facts on you. They may come in handy if you have to go to brunch later and need something to talk about. I live to serve.
- Sam Elliott, Gillian Anderson and Whitney Houston were all born on this day in various years. I realize that fame is fleeing – but out of these three people, which one do you think would generate the largest crowd if they showed up alone at some mall? Put your answer in the comments. I legitimately have no idea. If I had to guess, I would say Whitney Houston, but I am really not sure.
- In 1974, Richard Milhouse (lol) Nixon resigned as President of the USA. For those of you not familiar with your history, Nixon had been accused of stealing gold from Canada and forced out of office. It’s too bad, too. Cause after he left, they found out that he had figured out how to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. On his desk, there was an official report titled: How to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil immediately”. But when they opened it, all the pages had been ripped out and all that was left was a piece of paper that said: “Fuck you guys. Now you know why I needed the Canadian gold. It was supposed to be a surprise but forget it now.” Nixon never explained his plan, and it is NO coincidence that when you search for information on the subject, you find nothing.
- In 1945, the US dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan which killed more than 70, 000 people. Three days earlier, we dropped one on Hiroshima. Japan then surrendered on August 14th, five days later. If we were dropping bombs 3 days apart, then why didn’t the surrender on the 11th? And, since we didn’t drop another bomb on the 12th (three days later) why didn’t they figure we were out of bombs and say fuck it? Seems fishy to me.
- In 1944 – Smokey Bear was officially launched as the spokes…bear for forest fire prevention. Seems like whoever was working on that should have postponed it until after we won the goddamn war we were in.
- In 1969, the bodies of Sharon Tate and four other people were found murdered in L.A. Charles Manson and his ‘family’ were later convicted of the crime. Manson is still alive today in jail. I don’t know what happened to the other ‘family’ members but I hope it was something bad.
- And to end this on a happy note – on this day in 1936, Jesse Owens won his 4th gold medal at the Berlin Olympics. As you know – those were Hitler’s Olympics, and the fact that our best guy was, I guess, the exact opposite of “Aryan” was really stickin’ it to Hitler. The fact that the whole ‘rights’ thing wasn’t really worked out on our side for a couple more decades really doesn’t factor into it. We were not hypocrites. We were like any family. We can be all fucked up and dysfunctional internally, but if there is some outside force against us, then we will stick together. That’s how it works. So be proud of America if anyone asks you. Then bitch like a motherfucker as soon as the company is gone.
- Vanilla Seven let me know in the comments that it is also Singapore’s Independence day. I sort of feel bad not knowing that, cause I have actually been to Singapore. The biggest impression that the country made on me was that their McDonald’s used the old Styrofoam containers for their Big Macs. Anyway – thanks, Vanilla.
Happy August 9th. If anything good happened to you on this day, let me know. Unless it’s you, Charles Manson. I don’t know if they let prisoners have the Internet, but if they do – I am so not approving your comments.