Dear White People: Just Stop Being Terrible
Here are some things white people have been doing lately that make me extremely angry.
- Crying about the confederate flag being taken down. Here is a genius quote:
“That flag has a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people… It doesn’t symbolize hate unless you think it’s hate – and that’s your problem, not mine.” – David Stone, 38, extraordinary idiot. (From Yahoo)
- Using the hashtag #WhiteGirlsDoItBetter on Twitter.
- Complaining that they are oppressed.
- Insisting that “reverse racism” is a thing.
- Hating on Serena Williams.
Let me break this down for you. You need to stop being terrible. (I would say we, because I’m white as white can be too but I’m not this kind of white.)
1. About the confederate flag:
As a people we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; A white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause. Upon a red field would stand fourth our southern cross, Gemmed, preserving in beautiful contrast the red white and blue. – William T. Thompson, April 23, 1863
I rest my case.
2. This was in response, I gather, to hashtags such as #blackgirlsaremagic and #blackoutday. The difference is, listen carefully very very stupid white people, those tags aren’t putting anyone down, they are just celebrating black women. White people are already celebrated enough.
3. Here is a quiz for you. Are you white? If you answer: “yes”, then society is not oppressing your whiteness. Period. End of story. If you sincerely think this, then, well, you have serious problems with your brain and its ability to comprehend reality.
4. First of all, see point #3. However, if you’re still having trouble let me try to help you some more. If you once in a while feel excluded because everyone around you isn’t throwing a constant party because you’re there, or spending every second telling you what an amazing special snowflake you are, that’s not racism. If a group of black folks or latinos have some sort of meeting or event focusing on their culture, that’s not racism. You’re not being oppressed. Do you know why? Because nobody is telling you that your very person is inherently inferior. If you’re confused about what that means, go back and read #1.
Seriously, I beg you, white people, stop being completely and utterly lacking in self-awareness. I’m not asking you to walk around apologizing for your existence constantly, but how about you just get over yourselves and stop doing these sorts of things, forever. Thanks.