In case you spent this last week doing important things then you know the big news about the Alanis Morissette song You Oughta Know and who it isn’t about. Here are some other facts about the song.
- Everyone who plays the “misheard song lyric” game always pulls out “The cross-eyed bear that you gave to me” from this song.
- This might be the perfect description of crap people say when they are together but forget about later: “Does she know how you told me you’d hold me until you died, till you died, but you’re still alive”. Technically she is right!
- Modern theaters make it impossible for anyone to go down on anyone. Well, except maybe the dollar theater. People in the dollar theater are too worried about getting stabbed to worry about seat sexin’.
- On a semi-related note, there is no way the book Cujo could happen today. Everyone has a cell phone and every mom brings 1400 gallons of water with them everywhere they go. Think about it!
- Someone remind me to do a post about You Can’t Do That on Television which she was on and which totally ruled when I was a kid.
- I was going to use a more recent pic of her but all I could find were the very unflattering bikini shots. I won’t stoop to the cheap shot. I have integrity!
She had a lot of hits off that album but this is the one page-of-her-diary-she-turned-into-a-song that will last the longest. Except maybe Ironic if for no other reason than jerks love to point out that nothing in that song is actually ironic. They’re right, but they also aren’t millionaire singers. So suck on that, Strunk and White.
BTW, the easiest way to give an example of irony is: Olympic swimmer drowns in bathtub.