This will never happen to you. Ever. In a million years.
9 0 # on your telephone
I dialed ‘0’ to check this out, and the operator confirmed that this was correct, so please pass it on… l also checked out snopes.com and truthorfiction.com (This is true, and also applies to cell phones!)
PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW — I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was conducting a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.
Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.
I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE…
After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone !!!!!
PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!
OK, so let’s break this down.
– Apparently the fact that you can get free long distance to anywhere with almost every phone plan out there is not enough.
– The people who are too dumb to make enough money to afford such luxuries are the very same people who are smart enough to rob you.
– What does ‘full access to your telephone line’ mean? Like, mechanically, when the criminal picks up their phone, what happens?
– Does their phone remember that it “has control” of your line?
– What do they do if they want to use their own line again? Call you back?
– What would come up on the caller ID?
– Why does anyone believe these things?
So, to recap, someone please do this and let me know what happens. Don’t do it to me, though, just in case.